Early Childhood Consultation Partnership (ECCP®)
ABH® and the Department of Children and Families (DCF) implemented the Early Childhood Consultation Partnership (ECCP®) initiative to create solutions together to address young children’s mental health.
The Early Childhood Consultation Partnership (ECCP®) is a statewide, evidence-based, mental health consultation program designed to meet the social and emotional needs of children birth to five in early care or education settings. The program builds the capacity of caregivers at an individual, family, classroom, or center-wide level. It provides support, education, and consultation to caregivers in order to promote enduring and optimal outcomes for young children.
In 2002, the high rates of suspension and expulsion of pre-school children in childcare settings across Connecticut prompted early childhood stakeholders to include Early Childhood Mental Health Consultation as one of the initiatives funded by Connecticut’s Community Mental Health Strategy Board. The Department of Children and Families (DCF) implemented this initiative through a contract with ABH. ABH is responsible for the development and administration of the program throughout the state.
To make a referral or for more information,
Forms & Resources:
Successes and Milestones
- The ECCP program has been highlighted in national reports of the most promising models of early childhood services and is being used as a model for replication in several states.
- ECCP is backed by three random control trials contributing to an evidence base for preschool, as well as Infant/toddler Early Childhood Mental Health Consultation (ECMHC) (Gilliam 2007 & 2010).
- ECCP participated in Georgetown’s Study of Effective ECMHC Programs and is used to inform practices around the country. It is one of only a few ECMCH programs in the country serving infants, toddlers, and preschoolers.
- 1.1 ECCP Tips for Tots: Create a Quiet Space
- 1.2 ECCP Tips for Tots: Transitions
- 1.3 ECCP Tips for Tots: Time-In
- 1.4 ECCP Tips for Tots: Circle Time
- 1.5 ECCP Tips for Tots: Ratios
- 2.1 ECCP Tips for Tots: Emotion Regulation
- 2.2 ECCP Tips for Tots: Social Skills
- 2.3 ECCP Tips for Tots: Temperament
- ECCP Brochure